Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Getting ready for CLAY!!! Tested Tips for Teachers!

I've come to realize that some of the things that come naturally to me as an art teacher are not necessarily things that other art teachers are good at.  So, I'm going to start sharing a few tips. (Then I won't feel so bad when I steal art technique tips from other teachers!)

So today I'm going to share how I get ready to start clay for the first time in Art 1.

First, get out the OLDEST bags of clay first. I am using Low Fire White clay. I have 3 bags that I need to stretch out between 3 Art 1 classes. Two bags are pretty hard. One bag is nice and soft. I will force the students to use the two hard slabs first.  How you say.. easy. :)

Take the heavy block of clay out of the bag. (Yes I am working on the floor. It's easier for me to work on the floor and I've come to realize that it doesn't really matter if the clay is absolutely "clean" when I give it to students, it's not going to be "clean" when they are finished. It WILL have random bits of junk/hair/trash in it no matter what I say or do.)

Here is my block of clay. I do at least set it on it's plastic bag.

Now take your wire cutter and cut the block in half.

Lay 1/2 down and stand the other 1/2 on the clay base. Cut it in 1/2 as well.
 
Like this.

Now take the 1/4 wedge and cut it into 4 or so parts. Try to be somewhat consistent in size. But be ready to say.. "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit." Yes, even in high school!

Now take EACH wedge and place it into a plastic bag that zips closed. Brand doesn't matter. I use LOTS of ziploc bags. I make the quart size bags a supply item that kids have to provide. DON'T CLOSE THE BAG YET!!!
 
6. Now take the bags over to the sink and if the clay is already leather hard, place a few drops of water in each bag and close up the bag.

7. Place the OLDEST clay at the BOTTOM of the bucket. Place the BEST clay somewhere else until the old clay is used. (Notice the best clay is sitting on my counter inside gallon storage bags.. I'll pull these out at the end of the day for my last class. This is two-fold.. it forces the students to use the old clay first and it makes sure that every once in a while the last class of the day gets the best supply!)
 
Side note here... the students ALWAYS dig to the bottom of the bucket thinking that they are going to get the best of something...

Prepare your supplies for your table stations I use the lids  that come with small storage tubs for "plates" for my tables. I have one set on my front counter as an example of how I expect the students to place their supplies.

Notice the supplies on my front small table. I have EXACTLY the number of sharp instruments that we need for the tables. I only allow ONE of each tool per table. Students just have to share. I can keep up with seven of each of the tools, but I can't keep up with 25 of each!

You might also notice the canvas boards that I have in the tub next to the clay. These canvas boards are GREAT! They don't totally protect my tables, but they do a pretty good job. A lot of people cover the entire table for clay, but I don't have time as I teach Art 1, Art 2 and then back to Art 1. My advanced kids don't do clay at the same time as Art 1 and they really, really don't appreciate getting clay dust on their drawings!

So there you have it.

Art 1 is making 3 clay coils and a pinch pot today!

5 comments:

  1. That's an awesome tip for clay handling. Here's how I handle the clay scraps after the kids have finished up...I have them drop everything back into a clay bag ( I recycle them) and sprinkle in some water. I squeeze as much air out as I can and close with a twist tie. I hold the whole thing head high and drop repeatedly onto the floor to wedge the clay back together. If I'm not going to use it again right away I use the back of a paint brush to poke some holes into the mass and fill the holes with water. Close the bag and back on the shelf it goes. (The poke, add water, drop method also works to restore clay that dries too much on the shelf).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is too funny! I used to do the same thing! I would bash the bag of clay onto the work tables at different angles and "wedge" it back together. I swear I used to be able to wedge properly in college, but I struggle anymore. Of course, in college we mixed our own clay in a clay mixer and I swear it was a million times more wedgeable than store bought clay.

      Delete
  2. Great! Here's my tips: 1. completely dried clay can usually be rescued by wrapping it in a wet (not soggy) towel and place back in plastic bag (may have to rewet) - then the clay becomes moist and usable.
    2. I have 2 rubber bins (around 2 feet x 3 feet x 1 foot - or taller for bigger sculptures) per class. As students work on clay sculptures they return it to the bins. This way I can quickly check to make sure they
    have a moist environment if they're still modeling clay (I keep a small container of water in the bin with the sculptures or spray them with water). I can visually quickly check pieces, also let them gradually dry and baby if needed by controlling how much moisture/air is in the box. They are more protected. I can be sure only that specific class has access to pieces. Each class has it's own color - that's on the box. I bring out the box for each class, put it away before the next class.
    3. I have students draw a picture of their sculpture on small squares of paper (in their class color) and their name on front- 3 times. 1 for them to keep (like a receipt). 1 stays with the sculpture as it dries/is fired, 1 is for a class set. I have them show details (to tell the difference between 6 rabbits....). Then as the come out of the kiln I can match them up easily and they have their drawing to hand to me as a receipt when they pick up the pieces that have been fired. The right student always gets the right sculpture. (I teach middle school).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use plywood boards 1'x1' for clay projects because they can be washed…I find canvas boards hold the dry clay which if pounded on disperses into the air which is not healthy. The wood boards stack nicely and I have not problem getting students to clean them…also we have never had any problems with splinters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you have your students wipe the canvas with a damp sponge it will cut down or eliminate the dust

    ReplyDelete