Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Sumi-e Painting or Ink Wash Painting

Sumi-e Painting.

It's making ink from an inkstick (block of soot) and rubbing it on an inkstone and then painting with a bamboo brush on rice paper.

It's fun and not our usual medium.

It's part of my quest to make sure that advanced art students leave my program with experience in as many different types of art and media as possible.

In Sumi-e, once it's painted on, it's on. You can't change the stroke or erase it. I have found that it's a great exercise for students to use with gesture sketches.



We also did the traditional flowers, birds and bamboo.


While we were doing this, my art 1 classes were working on contour line with soda cans, so we did those in sumi-e too.

Overall, these are good exercises, but I don't like the way they dry when you have to create digital files. Maybe if I ironed them? I don't know. Can you iron rice paper???

No comments:

Post a Comment